While boarding on a cruise, remember one thing: You won’t get any cell reception there. And if you’re with your friends or family enjoying different programs on the ship, there is no way to keep track of anyone’s whereabouts.
Unless you’ve got the best walkie talkies for cruise ship on you.
That way, even while splitting up on the cruise, you can keep track of your partner or family at all times. So, before heading to your next cruise vacation, check out the cruise walkie talkies for large families.
Table of Contents
- Best Walkie Talkies For Cruise Ship – Reviews
- 1. Motorola Talkabout Radio MH230R
- 2. Midland GXT1000VP4 Walkie Talkie
- 3. COBRA ACXT545 Walkie Talkies
- 4. FLOUREON 4 Packs Long Range Walkie Talkies for Cruise Ship
- 5. Topsung TM880 Cruise Ship Walkie Talkie
- 6. Arcshell 4 Pack UHF 400-470Mhz Walkie Talkies for Cruise Ship
- 7. Retevis H-777 Walkie Talkies For Cruise Ship
- How To Communicate On A Cruise Ship
- Benefits Of Using Walkie Talkie On A Cruise Ship
- FAQs on Cruise Ship Walkie-Talkie
- Are walkie talkies allowed on cruise ships?
- Should You Bring Walkie-Talkies on a Cruise?
- Will walkie talkies Cover Entire cruise Ship?
- Can I use the walkie talkie in every port?
- Why are privacy codes important on cruise ships?
- Do cell phones work on cruise ships?
- Can you text for free on a cruise ship?
- Do I need waterproof walkie talkies for cruise ships?
Best Walkie Talkies For Cruise Ship – Reviews
Now, the market has many cruise ship walkie talkie to offer. But very few can match the quality of the below devices.
Let’s check them out then.
1. Motorola Talkabout Radio MH230R
This Motorola MH230R walkie talkie comes in a set of two. It has a compact design with a curvy shape that makes it perfect to fit in small hands. Because of its small size, you might think it will be hard to find if you drop it, but that’s not the case. The yellow color of it makes it quite visible.
But when you see past the outlook, you can see Motorola put real effort to make the device easy to use for all. Just look at the pairing mode. All you have to do is turn on the walkie-talkie, press menu, wait for the screen to flash, then choose the channel with the + and – buttons. That’s all.
Communication takes place on the MH230R using 22 channels where each of them has 121 private codes. So, you’re less likely to get interference when connecting with your partner. They are also equipped with the VOX function, so you can get hands-free use. You can be 23 miles apart from your partner and still be able to talk with them using the walkie talkie.
- Range up to 23 miles
- IP-51 water protection rating
- Offers 22 channels with 121 privacy codes per channel
- 11 weather channels
- NOAA alert feature
- Runs using both AAA and rechargeable NiMH battery
- Run time of 14hr and 12hr respectively using AAA and NiMH battery
2. Midland GXT1000VP4 Walkie Talkie
The robust appearance of the two way radios for cruise ships from Midland ensures you of quality. This is indeed the case as the walkie talkie resists high drops. Even it is waterproof.
Now, though it’s compact, it’s a bit stocky. If you’ve small hands, you might struggle to keep a good hold on it.
But to give you relief, it got the belt clip on place. You don’t need to carry it on the hand therefore all the time. Just attach it on the belt or top of the pant. And with the voice activation feature on it, you can transmit without even taking the walkie talkie on hand. The VOX feature of the Midland works great for its 9 sensitivity levels. You can whisper and it will still pick up the voice clear to transmit.
Now, this is a 3 pack set. So, it’s perfect for small families. When there is no reception on the ship, you can use its extensive 36 miles range to keep connected. With more than 50 channels with their 142 privacy coding, you get a secure line to talk.
- Offers 50 channels: 22 standard and 28 extra privacy coded
- JIS4 waterproof unit
- Offers a long range of 36 miles
- Has 10 call alerts
- Has weather scan with weather alert function
- Offers Vibrate Alert
- eVOX feature for hand-free operation
3. COBRA ACXT545 Walkie Talkies
The cobra walkie talkie is for universal use. Whether you’re in the city, in the forest or in the middle of the sea, the ACXT545 won’t let you down.
The range of these communication devices is good since it covers up to 28 miles. From any corner on the vessel, you will get in touch with the other person with ease. Like the Midland, it is slightly on the chunky side. But it is compact in size and has little weight to it. You can put it inside the pocket or just clip it on the belt. Don’t worry about turning the channels on inadvertently, it got a keypad lock. This comes handy while you’re using the walkie talkie on the VOX mode.
At first, it might look a bit daunting with all the buttons around the display. But in reality, you find it easy to use as they have a clear label on each of the buttons. And with features like easy grip and flashlight on the walkie talkie, you get great use out of it. No worries, if you drop it in the pool, it resists water too.
- Provides 2662 channel combinations
- 10 NOAA weather channels
- Emergency weather alert system
- Rated IPX2 water resistant
- Voice activated transmission feature
- VibrAlert for noticing incoming transmissions
- Built-in LED flashlight
- Range up to 30 miles
4. FLOUREON 4 Packs Long Range Walkie Talkies for Cruise Ship
The Floureon 300M walkie talkie is a family 4 pack walkie talkies for cruise. In this unit, there are a few buttons. That makes it easier for the kids to use. Don’t worry about them breaking it, the solid plastic with rubber housing is built for the drops.
With the walkie talkie, you get five km range without obstacle. And there are 2662 lines to communicate. Thanks to the 22 channels with their 121 privacy codes, you will get a free line at all times. And with the help of the scanning feature, you always know which channels people are using.
The waterproof cruise ship walkie talkie even offers a hand free operation just like the rest. But what makes it stand out is its squelch function. Now, you can mute the background noise to get a clear sound even standing in a crowded place.
- Auto scan feature
- Squelch function to mute background noise
- Channel lock button
- Voice tranmission using both PTT and VOX
- Supports both FRS and GMRS radio service
- Talk range is up to 5 km
- Uses AA battery
- Has a backlit display
5. Topsung TM880 Cruise Ship Walkie Talkie
TopSung might not be a household name to many people, but it will soon become one with products like the M880 FRS walkie talkie.
This unit has a handful of smart features. For start, you have auto squelch to eliminate background noise which is something you find in most other cheap 4 pack cruise walkie talkies. Something that you might see for the first time is the auto monitor and auto memory function. Using the first one, you can easily check for signals with a press of a button. The other one lets you keep your settings even after you turn off the device. No need to set them again when you turn it back on.
Then there are some other smart aspects to it like the auto remind which tells you to charge or replace the battery. Even the dust plug on the jack is a small but useful touch to the device. Those features alone make a good case for the unit. But when you look at the unit itself, you find it appealing thanks to its small size. With just 2.9 oz weight, this fits right into your palms. Even kids won’t have trouble handling the walkie talkie. So, if you’re going with the kids, you can take the walkie talkies on carnival cruise ships with you.
- Smart system
- Provides 22 main channels with 121 privacy codes
- Long range up to 16 miles
- Gives 3-4 days standby time
- Features VOX, keypad lock, LCD screen functionalities.
- Has a 2.5mm Earpiece jack with a dust plug
- Made from environment friendly ABS material
6. Arcshell 4 Pack UHF 400-470Mhz Walkie Talkies for Cruise Ship
You can trust on Arcshell for your cruise ship walkie talkie. No doubt, it’s perfect for your adventure as it offers 4 devices. For with a small group of friends, this will come real handy.
Using its UHF 400-470MHz range, you can cover a great distance on it. For transmitting and receiving in emergencies you can rely on it to get connected. And with programmable frequencies, you can make establish a secure line for communication.
Other than that, the build quality of the unit is something that deserves more praise. It has a compact dimension which makes it easy to fit in your hands. Plus, it’s lightweight which makes it easy to carry around. And with the removable belt clip, you can attach the device on the body, if you don’t feel like holding it anymore.
And if you’re looking for the standard features like VOX on it, that you get also. The thing you won’t get is a display. So, for some, it might be hard to operate.
- Uses UHF waves that penetrates obstacles
- Offers 16 channels
- 1500 mAH battery can offer 8-96 hours of use with a single charge
- Gives a 5 mile range
- Has low battery alert and emergency alarm
- Channel lock system
- Scanning function
- Has both English and Chinese voice prompt
7. Retevis H-777 Walkie Talkies For Cruise Ship
Similar to the earlier model, the Retevis walkie talkie doesn’t have a display on it. But even that aside, you get a device that’s full of quality. Equipped with a 1000mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery, this walkie talkie has a range of use of 5 km. And that range depends on the climate, topography, and obstacles around it.
With voice activation, you can transit without touching the unit. And if you don’t want others listening to you, you get headphones with the unit.
For ease of use, the devices come set with the same frequency, so you can use them right out of the box. And with 16 channels offered, you can avoid high traffic channels to get a clear line of communication. Plus, for emergencies, it has many great features. You get an emergency alarm function. There is also the flashlight that comes handy in the dark. So, all in all, the walkie talkie set makes a perfect companion for those cruise trips.
- Rechargeable unit gets charged using both USB cable and dock charging.
- Emergency flashlight
- Two way radio has emergency alarm function
- 16 selectable channels
- Takes only 2-3 hours to charge and offers 8 -9 hours use
- Sturdy antenna and a reliable belt clip
- Pack includes 3 walkie talkie
How To Communicate On A Cruise Ship
There is a couple of ways you can keep a communication channel open with your family or friends on the cruise. Let’s take a look at them.
- The first solution is using a walkie talkie. With very bad reception to zero reception on the cell in the middle of the sea, it’s the best way to communicate with other people on the vessel.
- Many cruise have WiFi on them. Therefore, you can use it to communicate with others over the internet. However, the lines aren’t always stable. So, that’s something to think about before committing to it.
- You can rely on the cruise line communication too. Now, every cruise offers its app. Using those you can keep in touch with one another. But like the earlier one, you have to depend on WiFi stability.
So, if you think about them, taking a walkie talkie with you on the cruise seems like the safest bet. Or you can use a sticky note on the door. But don’t know whether it will remain there until the actual receiver comes.
Benefits Of Using Walkie Talkie On A Cruise Ship
If you consider using a cruise ship walkie talkie, then obviously this question has come to your mind. What benefit it will have? So, let’s take into account some of the advantages that you will get with it.
Ease of use is something that comes right off the bat. No doubt, using an app to communicate might seem logical, but for some, it might be troublesome.
Also, if you have kids on board, you can’t just trust them with an expensive smartphone. They might leave it somewhere and forget about it. Or while playing they can drop. But a walkie talkie is something they can keep on them without any issue. And with VOX and channel lock features in place, they won’t even need to hold the device on hand to use.
Then there is the big question of network stability. WiFi can go down or not be strong enough for you to connect with the other person. But the walkie talkie will always offer you a crystal clear channel to talk with someone on the ship with you.
FAQs on Cruise Ship Walkie-Talkie
Are walkie talkies allowed on cruise ships?
Yes, you can take walkie talkies with you on the cruise as the ships allow guests to use it on board.
Also read: Marine Communication Equipment List
Should You Bring Walkie-Talkies on a Cruise?
Without any doubt, you should bring a walkie talkie with you unless you’re going there alone. Even in that case, you can take it with you in case of emergencies. You can get in contact with someone with authority on the ship to get help by getting on the frequency.
Will walkie talkies Cover Entire cruise Ship?
To be honest, it won’t cover an entire cruise. But at certain distances, you will be able to connect and that will be also helpful.
Can I use the walkie talkie in every port?
Yes, you can use it in every port as they are legal.
Why are privacy codes important on cruise ships?
There are many people using walkie talkie on the ship. Therefore, having privacy codes will help you get open channels without any interference.
Do cell phones work on cruise ships?
In most cases, they don’t work on the cruise as there is a lack of reception.
Can you text for free on a cruise ship?
Using the Cruise app, you will be able to send text for free. But in the hindsight, you might have already paid for it while getting the cruise ticket.
Do I need waterproof walkie talkies for cruise ships?
Without any doubt, you should opt for a waterproof walkie talkie as you’re surrounded by water all around. Even onboard, you got pools. So, getting a water-resistant device would come handy.
The best walkie talkies for cruise ship can be an invaluable addition to take with you on the trip.
You will not only be able to talk with your friends and family on the board, but also can use it to keep an eye on the kids while enjoying your leisure time.
So, take it with you.